
By Sara Beth Williams–
A half million in funding has been secured for the second phase of the San Juan Avenue Complete Streets project in Citrus Heights, officials say.
In a Feb. 9 press release, Representative Ami Bera (D-CA) announced that he has secured just over $14 million in Community Project Funding to support 14 projects across California’s 6th congressional district, including a significant investment of $500,000 locally, Citrus Heights City Manager Ash Feeney confirmed.
“These investments support innovation and technology infrastructure, strengthen public safety and emergency preparedness, improve water reliability, enhance transportation safety and mobility, and improve our parks and community facilities,” Bera said in his media release last week.
Five hundred thousand out of the $14 million has been designated for the San Juan Avenue Complete Streets Project Phase 2 in Citrus Heights, which aims to improve safety and accessibility along the key neighborhood corridor. San Juan Avenue serves as an important east-west route connecting neighborhoods, schools, and businesses in the city.
City officials said Tuesday that the funds will help to kick off the preliminary engineering phase for phase 2 of the project.
The project’s second phase is currently estimated to cost $12 million for full design, environmental documentation, and construction, the city said, confirming that an additional $11.5 million is needed.
Because not all funding has been identified beyond preliminary engineering, there is no start date for construction at this time.
Construction on the first section of the major capital works project, labeled Phase IA, began in June 2024 along San Juan Avenue from Madison Avenue to Chesline Drive and wrapped up at the end of 2024.
Phase 1B, which continues similar improvements from Chesline Drive to Spicer Drive, was expected to begin last year but was delayed, the city said, due to the revaluating and identifying of design element improvements, which the city hopes will lower the overall cost.
“However, these modifications took additional time to coordinate with property owners as well as time to re-validate the environmental certification for the updated project scope.”
Phase 2 will also continue improvements down San Juan Avenue, from Spicer Drive to Greenback Lane.
The full project includes constructing new sidewalks, curbs, and gutters where there are none; replacing deteriorating sidewalks and curbs; ADA access improvements; the addition of new buffered bike lanes; streetlighting; storm drain infrastructure upgrades and expansion; and full roadway resurfacing and restriping.
Construction for Phase 1B of the project is expected to begin in the fall of 2026.
Since Community Project Funding was reintroduced in 2022, Bera has secured $63,860,303 for 51 projects across Sacramento County, according to his office.










