As of Jan. 1, 2020, California residents may opt out of the “sale” of their personal information, as stated in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CA Civil Code 1798.120). “A consumer shall have the right, at any time, to direct a business that sells personal information about the consumer to third parties not to sell the consumer’s personal information. This right may be referred to as the right to opt-out.”
Paid advertising, along with subscriptions, are the only sources of revenue The Sentinel uses to provide our community with local news coverage. As defined by law, we sell certain of your information to third parties to provide you with personalized advertising and other opportunities that may be of interest to you.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act, sale is defined in a way that may include allowing third parties to receive certain information, such as cookies, IP address, and/or browsing behavior, to deliver targeted advertising. Advertising enables us to provide you certain content for free and allows us to provide you offers relevant to you.
We may provide the following categories of personal information to third parties for these purposes:
- Online targeted advertising: demographic and statistical information, user-generated content, device information and identifiers, browser and usage data, geolocation, and social media information.
- For sharing with third parties to send you relevant offers, products, promotions and opportunities: contact and registration information, demographic and statistical information, employment and education data, user-generated content, device information and identifiers, and geolocation.
If you would like to opt out of our use of your information for such purposes that are considered a “sale” under California law, you may do so by submitting an opt-out request by emailing us at email@example.com.
In addition, you must also opt-out from customized Google Ads shown on our website by going to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/ and also https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization.
You also have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information over the past 12 months. You may do so by submitting a disclosure request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose and deliver to you within 45 days:
- The categories and sources of personal information we collected about you.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom your personal information is shared.
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
You also have the right to request that we delete any personal information that we collected about you. You may do so by submitting a request via email to email@example.com. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete your personal information from our records, subject to certain exceptions.
We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age without affirmative authorization, as required by law.
Thanks for reading The Sentinel. You are either trying to access subscribers-only content or you have reached your limit of 4 free articles per 30 days. Click here to sign in or subscribe.