By Mike Hazlip—
A 39-year-old man accused of shooting another patron in the head at a Mexican restaurant in Citrus Heights last year has been convicted by a jury in the conclusion of his trial.
The Sacramento County District Attorney’s office announced the conviction of Miguel Angel Garcia-Rocio in a Nov. 15 news release. The jury found Garcia-Rocio guilty of attempted murder and he now faces a maximum sentence of 27 years to life in prison.
The conviction stems from an April 16, 2021, incident when Garcia-Rocio fired a gun at a man in La Fiesta Taqueria, grazing his head.
The DA’s office said Garcia-Rocio was having dinner at the restaurant with a small group, including children, when “a group of males at a nearby table began laughing at him.” Garcia-Rocio got into an argument with the other group and then went outside and returned, continuing to argue with the other group. He then “walked up to the other group’s table, pulled a handgun from his waist and shot the victim once in the head,” before fleeing.
Police Sgt. Janet Schaefer told The Sentinel previously that officers responded to multiple 911 calls and found one adult male with a non life-threatening head wound at the scene.
Citrus Heights police arrested Garcia-Rocio later that night, charging him with attempted murder.