Editor’s note: following the publication of this article, Councilman Mel Turner passed away while in office. His position was filled by Albert Fox.
Elected members to the Citrus Heights city council are largely known for their role in setting policy and making decisions at the city level, but the five council members also play a role in shaping policy affecting the region.
In January, council members approved appointments for each member to serve on various boards, commissions, and subcommittees. The current council includes Mayor Jeff Slowey, Vice Mayor Steve Miller, and council members Bret Daniels, Jeannie Bruins and Albert Fox, who replaced former Councilman Mel Turner after his death.
The following is a list of appointments made during the Jan. 12, 2017 city council meeting:
Regional boards and commissions:
- Sacramento Metropolitan Cable Television Commission: Mel Turner (Bret Daniels alternate)
- Sacramento Public Library Authority: Jeff Slowey (Mel Turner, alternate)
- Sacramento Area Sewer District: Jeannie Bruins (Steve Miller, alternate)
- Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District: Jeannie Bruins (Steve Miller, alternate)
- Sacramento Transportation Authority: Mel Turner, (Bret Daniels, alternate)
- Sacramento Area Council of Governments: Jeff Slowey (Steve Miller, alternate)
- Regional Transit: Steve Miller (Jeff Slowey, alternate)
- Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District: Bret Daniels (Jeannie Bruins, alternate)
Council Ad Hoc Subcommittees:
- Finance/Administration: Jeff Slowey, Steve Miller
- Quality of Life: Jeannie Bruins, Jeff Slowey
- Legislative: Bret Daniels, Mel Turner
- Law Enforcement: Jeannie Bruins, Jeff Slowey
Additionally, council members are also appointed annually to serve as liaisons to these local entities:
- Citrus Heights Chamber of Commerce: Steve Miller, Bret Daniels
- Education and Community Programs: Jeannie Bruins, Jeff Slowey
- Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District: Mel Turner, Bret Daniels
- Inter-governmental Relations: Steve Miller, Bret Daniels
- Sunrise MarketPlace: Jeannie Bruins, Steve Miller
- Mayors’ & Board Chair Forum Collaborative: Jeff Slowey, Steve Miller
*Source: Jan. 12, 2017 draft meeting minutes, included in the Feb. 9 city council meeting agenda packet.