More in Business:
Updated 11:24 p.m., July 10 —
Wondering what the oldest businesses are in Citrus Heights?
During a May 11 council meeting, city staff unveiled a community-generated list of the top 20 oldest, still-standing, businesses in Citrus Heights — with Harris Industrial Gases coming in as the oldest business, first opening on Auburn Boulevard in 1936. Others on the list include Hall’s Furniture on Mariposa Avenue, opened in 1946, as well as Walt’s Auto Service and The Lodge Coffee Shop, both opening on Auburn Boulevard in the 1950’s.
The list is based on a community survey from 2016 and is part of the city’s year-long celebration commemorating 20 years of cityhood. Each month, the city has unveiled a new “Top 20” list, with prior lists including top 20 leaders, and top 20 neighborhood projects.
The full list of businesses and dates of opening are included below.
- 1936, Harris Industrial Gases, 8475 Auburn Blvd.
- 1946, Hall’s Furniture & Appliances, 7752 Mariposa Ave.
- 1954, Walt’s Auto Service, 7549 Auburn Blvd.
- 1957, Aba Daba Rents, 7448 Auburn Blvd.
- 1958, Lodge Coffee Shop, 8191 Auburn Blvd.
- 1959, Fireside Lanes, 7901 Auburn Blvd.
- 1960, Grand Oaks Beauty Salon, 7931 Auburn Blvd.
- 1965, Citrus Heights Mower, 7238 Auburn Blvd.
- 1965, Kniesel’s Auto Service Center, 7649 Sunrise Blvd.
- 1967, Ranch Motel, 6221 Auburn Blvd.
- 1970, Sunrise Mall, Sunrise Blvd.
- 1973, Sunrise Rollerland, 6001 Sunrise Vista Ave.
- 1974, The Pumpkin Farm, 7736 Old Auburn Rd.
- 1975, Coco’s Bakery, 7887 Madison Ave.
- 1976, Marketplace at Birdcage, 5975 Birdcage Centre Ln.
- 1977, All Star Printing, 7920 Alta Sunrise Dr.
- 1977, Rocky’s 7440 Club, 7440 Auburn Blvd.
- 1980, Great Clips, 7340 Greenback Ln.
- 1983, Felipe’s Mexican Restaurant, 7959 Auburn Blvd.
Update: Citrus Heights Preschool on Old Auburn Road reportedly opened in 1970, the same year as Sunrise Mall. Sylvan Cemetery on Auburn Boulevard also dates back to 1862.
Additional businesses missing from the list can be submitted by clicking here.
Thanks for reading The Sentinel. You have either reached your limit of 5 free articles per 30 days, or your subscription has expired. Click here to sign in or subscribe.