More in Business:
- Developer looks to build 10 homes on large lot near Madera Park January 23, 2022
- Real Estate: What can $450k buy you in Citrus Heights? January 16, 2022
- Citrus Heights thrift shop announces permanent closure January 13, 2022
By Mike Hazlip—
Despite declining sales and a climbing vacancy rate in the past decade, nearly 40 stores remain open at Sunrise Mall, ranging from a kids arcade to food, jewelry and clothing.
An employee at the mall’s leasing office referred The Sentinel to the mall’s website that lists over 40 retailers, and said the list was current. As of Jan. 4, the directory showed five new retailers opened in the last quarter of 2021, but a Sentinel visit to the mall on Wednesday found several of the stores had already gone out of business.
The City Council approved a plan last year to guide redevelopment of the nearly 100-acre Sunrise Mall property, but city staff have said they anticipate the plan to take around two decades to be fully realized.
The next step is for private developers to come forward with proposals for the site, in line with guidelines spelled out in the plan. Development activity is expected to begin in the unused parking areas, meaning the mall’s existing stores will likely remain open for many years.
Below is a breakdown of stores The Sentinel found still operating, along with updates on some stores that recently closed. The Sunrise Mall remains open 11 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays.
- JJ’s Kids Fun Center is a locally owned arcade and was open for business during a Sentinel visit Wednesday, although it is operating on reduced hours.
- Hot Dog on a Stick recently re-opened in the food court. The business is a locally owned franchise.
- Espresso Bar is an independently owned and operated coffee kiosk in the food court.
- Taco Bell is a locally owned franchise that reopened in the food court last year.
- Pretzel Maker is a locally owned franchise near the food court.
- Sam’s Jewelers at Sunrise Mall is one of five location throughout the Sacramento Valley and Bay Area offering jewelry.
- Kay Jewelers is a national brand with locations throughout the country offering jewelry.
- Fix Jewelry is an independently owned repair and sales business for jewelry.
- La Estetica Hair Salon opened last quarter, according to a previous report by The Sentinel. The shop was still operating as of Wednesday.
- Dr. Ring is an independently owned mobile device repair business. A recording for the business said they are operating at Sunrise Mall with reduced hours.
- Miracle Massage is an independently owned massage business.
- T-Mobile is a wireless service provider that sells mobile devices and wireless plans at various locations through the country.
- Yes Custom Designs is an independently owned business offering custom printed T-shirts and apparel.
Bad Bish Behavior opened in October of 2021, advertising women’s dresses, cosmetics, and accessories. The business announced it opened at Sunrise Mall in October 2021. Sentinel staff could not locate the business during a visit to the mall Wednesday.
Bebesitas Cosmetics also opened in the fourth quarter of 2021, offering cosmetics, women’s clothing, and accessories. The suite is now vacant and an employee of a nearby business said Bebesitas closed its doors.
Boot Town Western Wear is also a recent addition to the mall, according to the store directory. The business advertises western wear for men and women along with clothing accessories and saddles. Sentinel staff could not find the business during a recent visit to the mall. A voicemail left with the Stockton Boulevard-based retailer Wednesday was not answered by press time Thursday afternoon.
Breakout 408 is another recently opened clothing store, advertising graphic T-shirts, ski masks, assorted jeans, hoodies and jackets, along with other apparel. The business was open during a visit by Sentinel staff Wednesday.
Champs offers sports apparel and has operated at Sunrise Mall for several years.
Choice is a women’s clothing store.
California Basics continues to operate at the same location. The clothing store advertises women’s clothing, lingerie, and jewelry.
Famous Footwear offers shoes and is a national brand with locations throughout the country.
Hot Topic sells clothing, accessories, and pop culture novelties. They are a national brand with locations throughout the country.
JCPenny is a national anchor department store that has operated at Sunrise Mall for decades.
Lids is a national chain offering sports hats and custom embroidery.
M&M Couture is an independently owned business offering formal wear for women.
Macy’s is a national anchor department store that has operated at Sunrise Mall for decades.
Tilly’s is a national brand that sells men’s and women’s clothing and accessories.
Tops Men’s Fashion is an independently owned men’s clothing store.
Torrid is a national brand with locations throughout the country offering women’s clothing.
Vans is a national brand offering footwear at locations across the country.
Zumiez is a clothing store with locations throughout the country.
Shoe Palace offers footwear and is a national brand with locations throughout the country.
Spencer’s is a clothing and novelty store with locations through the nation.
Go Calendars and Games, a seasonal retailer, opened for the holiday season, but an employee at the location told The Sentinel the shop plans to close at the end of February. The games, toys, and novelty retailer currently occupies the same suite as previous years and is one of several locations through the region.
Bath and Body Works is a national chain that has operated the Sunrise Mall location for decades. The business sells items related to personal care.
Claire’s is a national chain offering trendy accessories and markets to the tween/teen age group.
Hallmark is a national brand offering greeting cards and gifts at locations throughout the country.
Image is an independently owned retailer offering clothing and gifts.
Perfumes Luxe is an independently owned business offering men’s and women’s perfume and cologne.
See’s Candies is a national brand that began in the Bay Area and continues to operate a location in Sunrise Mall that has been in business for decades.
Sunglasses Hut is a national brand and the Sunrise Mall location continues to operate in the same location.
See a store that should be added or removed from this list? Click here to let us know.
Thanks for reading The Sentinel. You are either trying to access subscribers-only content or you have reached your limit of 5 free articles per 30 days. Click here to sign in or subscribe.